Lawsuits have been filed after millions of inclined baby sleepers were recalled due to 92 reports of baby deaths.
Need a Texas Inclind Baby Sleeper Lawyer? Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged. If your baby was injured or died in a recalled baby sleeper, you should contact our lawyers immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit.
UPDATE: Inclined Sleepers Linked to 92 Infant Deaths Since 2005
In March 2020, Consumer Reports warned that at least 51 babies had suffocated and died in a now-recalled Fisher-Price Rock ‘n Play Sleeper, which was recalled in April 2019. Inclined sleepers are now linked to at least 92 deaths and over 1,100 injuries and “close calls.”
Lawmakers Ask for More Inclined Sleeper Recalls from Graco, Chicco
In March 2020, Rep. Carolyn Maloney, D-N.Y., asked Graco and Chicco to consider recalling several portable crib products with inclined sleeper accessories, including the Graco Care Station Playards and the Chicco Lullaby Playards. Experts are concerned because inclined sleepers pose a suffocation hazard for babies. Click here to read more.
Kolcraft Recalls Inclined Sleeper Accessories for Bassinets
In February 2020, Kolcraft recalled around 51,000 inclined sleeper accessories for bassinets due to a suffocation hazard. No injuries or incidents were reported. The recall involves the following products:
- Kolcraft Cuddle ‘n Care 2-in-1 Bassinet & Incline Sleepers (model number starting with KB063)
- Kolcraft Preferred Position 2-in-1 Bassinet & Incline Sleepers (model number starting with KB061).
Over 165,000 Inclined Baby Sleepers Recalled by 4 Manufacturers
In January 2020, more than 165,000 inclined baby sleepers were recalled by 4 manufacturers because babies can suffocate. The recalls include:
- Graco Little Lounger Rocking Seats
- Summer Infant SwaddleMe By Your Bed Inclined Sleepers
- Evenflo Pillo Portable Napper Inclined Sleepers
- Delta Children Inclined Sleepers (Disney Baby, Beautyrest, Simmons, etc.)
Inclined Baby Sleepers Banned by Major Retailers
Amazon, eBay, Buy Buy Baby, Walmart, Albee Baby and other stores are voluntarily ending all sales of inclined sleepers due to the risk of infant suffocation and death, according to Consumer Reports.
Experts Warn Parents Not to Use Inclined Sleepers Due to Deadly Suffocation Risk
In October 2019, the CPSC warned not to use inclined sleepers for babies due to deadly safety hazards. From 2005 through June 2019, there were 73 infant deaths and 1,108 incidents reported to the CPSC.
The CPSC hired independent experts to investigate the problem. The experts were conclusive that no inclined sleepers were safe for babies, including car seats, bouncers, and other products.
Only products with inclines of 10º or less, with flat and rigid surfaces, are probably safe for infant sleep, according to experts.
Baby Sleeper Lawsuits & Class Actions
In April 2019, a class action lawsuit (PDF) was filed by a family from Delaware whose 12-week-old baby girl died within minutes of being put in a Fisher-Price Rock ‘n Play Baby Sleeper.
They say the recall came “far too late” to save their daughter’s life, and accuse the manufacturer of knowingly selling a defective, dangerous product.
What is a Baby Sleeper?
Baby sleepers are bassinets with an incline between 10º and 30º. They are advertised to help babies sleep through the night. They are especially popular for babies who frequently spit-up due to reflux.
What is the Problem?
Experts say all of these products are dangerous because babies can roll over and suffocate against the fabric sides of the sleeper. Very young babies who can’t hold their head up might also suffocate if their chin dips down and touches their chest, compressing their airway.
Graco Little Lounger Rocking Seat Recall
In January 2020, Graco recalled 110,000 Little Lounger Rocking Seats. No incidents were reported. The product is an inclined rocking seat and vibrating lounger product. It was sold from 2013 through 2018 at Target, Babies R Us and other stores.
Evenflo Pillo Portable Napper Recall
In January 2020, Evenflo recalled 3,100 Pillo Portable Nappers. No injuries were reported. The inclined sleepers were sold for about $75 between May 2017 and January 2020. They were sold at stores such as Target, Kohl’s, Amazon.com, Buy Buy Baby, JC Penney, Walmart and more.
Delta Children Recalls Disney, BeautyRest, Other Inclined Sleepers for Suffocation Hazard
In January 2020, Delta Enterprise Corp. recalled about 5,900 inclined sleepers with adjustable feeding positions for newborns. The recall involves several different products that were sold under brand-names like Disney Baby, Beautyrest, Delta Children, Simmons, and more. No injuries were reported.
The inclined sleepers were sold from January 2017 through December 2018 at Amazon.com, Kmart, ToysRUs.com, and other stores nationwide. The recall includes the following inclined sleepers:
- Beautyrest Beginnings Incline Sleeper with Adjustable Feeding Position for Newborns
- Disney Baby Minnie Mouse Incline Sleeper with Adjustable Feeding Position for Newborns
- Delta Children Deluxe 3-in-1 Activity Rocker, Feeder and Sleeper
- Simmons Kids Beautyrest Deluxe 3-in-1 Activity Rocker, Feeder, and Sleeper
- 3-in-1 Activity Rocker, Feeder and Incline Sleeper
- And others
SwaddleMe By Your Bed Sleeper Recall
In January 2020, safety officials warned parents to immediately stop using the Summer Infant SwaddleMe By Your Bed Sleeper because it is an inclined bassinet that poses a risk of suffocation and death for infants. The manufacturer issued an official recall on January 29, 2020.
Fisher-Price Rock ‘n Play Baby Sleeper Recall
In April 2019, a recall was issued for 4.7 million Fisher-Price Rock ‘n Play Sleepers after reports of 32 baby deaths since 2009.
The deaths occurred when babies rolled over while unrestrained, or under other circumstances, according to the recall posted by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Kids II Baby Sleeper Recalls
In April 2019, all models of Rocking Sleepers were recalled by Kids II Inc. after reports of 5 baby deaths since 2012.
The recalld baby sleepers were sold at Walmart, Target and Toys ‘R Us between March 2012 and April 2019 under brand-names such as Disney Baby, Bright Starts, DreamComfort, and Ingenuity.
The recall involves the following baby sleepers:
- Bright Starts Playtime To Bedtime Rocking Sleeper: 10081
- Rock & Dream Sleeper – Iggy: 10126
- Ingenuity Rock And Dream Sleeper Lucy: 10127
- Ingenuity Moonlight Rocking Sleeper Cuddle Giraffe: 10148
- Bright Starts Pretty In Pink Playtime To Bedtime Rocking Sleeper: 10178
- Ingenuity Smartrock Poweradapt Sleeper Cambridge: 10289
- Ingenuity Rock N’ Soothe Sleeper Dayton: 10292
- Automatic Rock ‘N Soothe Sleeper – Cuddle Lamb: 10320
- Ingenuity Moonlight Rocking Sleeper Cuddle Lion: 10380
- Ingenuity Soothing Light Rocking Sleeper Vesper: 10568
- Bright Starts Toucan Tango Rocking Sleeper: 10729
- Ingenuity Moonlight Rocking Sleeper Zoo Zoo Zebra: 10872
- DreamComfort Automatic Rocking Sleeper – Whitley: 10888
- DreamComfort Soothing Light Rocking Sleeper – Addington: 10890
- Bright Starts Rocking Sleeper Jungle Bursts: 11021
- Bright Starts Pretty In Pink Rocking Sleeper Jungle Blooms: 11022
- Rock n’ Soothe Sleeper – Moxley: 11063
- Ingenuity Moonlight Rocking Sleeper Lullaby Lion: 11164
- Ingenuity Rock N’ Soothe Sleeper Sunny Snuggles: 11171
- Ingenuity Rock N’ Soothe Sleeper Dayton: 11357
- Ingenuity Dream Comfort Automatic Rocking Sleeper Braden: 11429
- DreamComfort Automatic Rocking Sleeper – Anders: 11714
- Automatic Rock ‘n Soothe Sleeper – Nolan: 11792
- Bright Starts Rocking Sleeper – Jungle Garden: 11894
- Bright Starts Rocking Sleeper – Evening Safari: 11895
- Automatic Rock ‘n Soothe Sleeper – Flora the Unicorn: 11962
- Automatic Rock N Soothe Sleeper – Nolan – Display: 12115
- Taggies Snuggle Me Sleeper Nestling Vine: 60130
- Bright Starts Playtime To Bedtime Sleeper: 60131
- Bright Starts Pretty In Pink Playtime To Bedtime Sleeper: 60163
- Ingenuity Moonlight Rocking Sleeper Deluxe Emerson: 60327
- Disney Baby/Bright Starts Bows & Butterflies Sleeper Minnie Mouse: 60328
- Ingenuity Moonlight Rocking Sleeper Lullaby Lamb: 60331
- Bright Starts Playtime To Bedtime Sleeper Playful Pinwheels: 60401
- Ingenuity Moonlight Rocking Sleeper Deluxe Winslow: 60600
- Ingenuity Moonlight Rocking Sleeper Deluxe Seneca: 60635
Ultra-Lite Play Yard Baby Sleeper Recall
In June 2019, about 71,000 baby sleeper accessories for the Fisher-Price Ultra-Lite Day & Night Play Yard were recalled due to a risk of suffocation and death.
The recalled baby sleeper was not linked to any deaths, but it has a similar design as recalled products where infants have died, according to a according to the recall posted by the CPSC:
“Infant fatalities have been reported while using other inclined sleep products, after the infants rolled from their back to their stomach or side while unrestrained, or under other circumstances.”
Disney & Eddie Bauer Baby Sleeper Recall
In August 2019, Dorel Juvenile Group USA issued a recall for about 24,000 of the Disney & Eddie Bauer Baby Sleepers because babies can roll over and suffocate, or die under other circumstances.
They were sold at Target, Kmart, Ross, Marshalls, TJ Maxx and other stores between November 2014 and February 2017 for about $60.
The recall involves the following products sold at Target, Kmart, Ross, Marshalls, TJ Maxx and other stores between November 2014 through February 2017:
- Eddie Bauer Slumber and Soothe Bassinet (Model #BT055CSY)
- Disney Baby Doze and Dream Bassinet (Model #BT071DHS)
Need an Inclined Sleeper Lawyer in Texas?
Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged.
Collen’s amazing success in the courtroom and well known dedication to his clients has earned him the recognition of his peers as one of The Top Trial Lawyers in Texas.”
The Clark Firm has assembled a team of trial lawyers with more than 100 years experience, participation in over 600 jury trials and $260 million in verdicts and/or settlements. Please use the form below to contact our law firm for a free case review.