Lawsuits have been filed after millions of baby sleepers were recalled due to 53 reports of baby deaths.
Need a Texas Baby Sleeper Lawyer? Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged. If your baby was injured or died in a recalled baby sleeper, you should contact our lawyers immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit.
UPDATE: 73 Baby Deaths Linked to Inclined Sleepers Since 2005
In October 2019, the CPSC warned not to use inclined sleepers for babies due to deadly safety hazards. From 2005 through 2019, there were 73 infant deaths and 1,108 incidents reported to the CPSC.
The CPSC hired independent experts to investigate the problem. The experts were conclusive that no inclined sleepers were safe for babies, including car seats, bouncers, and other products.
Only products with inclines of 10º or less, with flat and rigid surfaces, are probably safe for infant sleep, according to experts.
Baby Sleeper Lawsuits & Class Actions
In April 2019, a class action lawsuit (PDF) was filed by a family from Delaware whose 12-week-old baby girl died within minutes of being put in a Fisher-Price Rock ‘n Play Baby Sleeper.
They say the recall came “far too late” to save their daughter’s life, and accuse the manufacturer of knowingly selling a defective, dangerous product.
What is a Baby Sleeper?
Baby sleepers are bassinets with an incline between 10º and 30º. They are advertised to help babies sleep through the night. They are especially popular for babies who frequently spit-up due to reflux.
53 Baby Deaths Linked to Inclined Sleepers
At least 53 babies have suffocated and died in baby sleepers, according to an investigation by Consumer Reports. Unfortunately, the recalled baby sleepers are still used at some homes and daycare centers, or sold second-hand online.
What is the Problem?
Experts say all of these products are dangerous because babies can roll over and suffocate against the fabric sides of the sleeper. Very young babies who can’t hold their head up might also suffocate if their chin dips down and touches their chest, compressing their airway.
Fisher-Price Rock ‘n Play Baby Sleeper Recall
In April 2019, a recall was issued for 4.7 million Fisher-Price Rock ‘n Play Sleepers after reports of 32 baby deaths since 2009.
The deaths occurred when babies rolled over while unrestrained, or under other circumstances, according to the recall posted by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Kids II Baby Sleeper Recalls
In April 2019, all models of Rocking Sleepers were recalled by Kids II Inc. after reports of 5 baby deaths since 2012.
The recalld baby sleepers were sold at Walmart, Target and Toys ‘R Us between March 2012 and April 2019 under brand-names such as Disney Baby, Bright Starts, DreamComfort, and Ingenuity.
The recall involves the following baby sleepers:
- Bright Starts Playtime To Bedtime Rocking Sleeper: 10081
- Rock & Dream Sleeper – Iggy: 10126
- Ingenuity Rock And Dream Sleeper Lucy: 10127
- Ingenuity Moonlight Rocking Sleeper Cuddle Giraffe: 10148
- Bright Starts Pretty In Pink Playtime To Bedtime Rocking Sleeper: 10178
- Ingenuity Smartrock Poweradapt Sleeper Cambridge: 10289
- Ingenuity Rock N’ Soothe Sleeper Dayton: 10292
- Automatic Rock ‘N Soothe Sleeper – Cuddle Lamb: 10320
- Ingenuity Moonlight Rocking Sleeper Cuddle Lion: 10380
- Ingenuity Soothing Light Rocking Sleeper Vesper: 10568
- Bright Starts Toucan Tango Rocking Sleeper: 10729
- Ingenuity Moonlight Rocking Sleeper Zoo Zoo Zebra: 10872
- DreamComfort Automatic Rocking Sleeper – Whitley: 10888
- DreamComfort Soothing Light Rocking Sleeper – Addington: 10890
- Bright Starts Rocking Sleeper Jungle Bursts: 11021
- Bright Starts Pretty In Pink Rocking Sleeper Jungle Blooms: 11022
- Rock n’ Soothe Sleeper – Moxley: 11063
- Ingenuity Moonlight Rocking Sleeper Lullaby Lion: 11164
- Ingenuity Rock N’ Soothe Sleeper Sunny Snuggles: 11171
- Ingenuity Rock N’ Soothe Sleeper Dayton: 11357
- Ingenuity Dream Comfort Automatic Rocking Sleeper Braden: 11429
- DreamComfort Automatic Rocking Sleeper – Anders: 11714
- Automatic Rock ‘n Soothe Sleeper – Nolan: 11792
- Bright Starts Rocking Sleeper – Jungle Garden: 11894
- Bright Starts Rocking Sleeper – Evening Safari: 11895
- Automatic Rock ‘n Soothe Sleeper – Flora the Unicorn: 11962
- Automatic Rock N Soothe Sleeper – Nolan – Display: 12115
- Taggies Snuggle Me Sleeper Nestling Vine: 60130
- Bright Starts Playtime To Bedtime Sleeper: 60131
- Bright Starts Pretty In Pink Playtime To Bedtime Sleeper: 60163
- Ingenuity Moonlight Rocking Sleeper Deluxe Emerson: 60327
- Disney Baby/Bright Starts Bows & Butterflies Sleeper Minnie Mouse: 60328
- Ingenuity Moonlight Rocking Sleeper Lullaby Lamb: 60331
- Bright Starts Playtime To Bedtime Sleeper Playful Pinwheels: 60401
- Ingenuity Moonlight Rocking Sleeper Deluxe Winslow: 60600
- Ingenuity Moonlight Rocking Sleeper Deluxe Seneca: 60635
Ultra-Lite Play Yard Baby Sleeper Recall
In June 2019, about 71,000 baby sleeper accessories for the Fisher-Price Ultra-Lite Day & Night Play Yard were recalled due to a risk of suffocation and death.
The recalled baby sleeper was not linked to any deaths, but it has a similar design as recalled products where infants have died, according to a according to the recall posted by the CPSC:
“Infant fatalities have been reported while using other inclined sleep products, after the infants rolled from their back to their stomach or side while unrestrained, or under other circumstances.”
Disney & Eddie Bauer Baby Sleeper Recall
In August 2019, Dorel Juvenile Group USA issued a recall for about 24,000 of the Disney & Eddie Bauer Baby Sleepers because babies can roll over and suffocate, or die under other circumstances.
They were sold at Target, Kmart, Ross, Marshalls, TJ Maxx and other stores between November 2014 and February 2017 for about $60.
The recall involves the following products sold at Target, Kmart, Ross, Marshalls, TJ Maxx and other stores between November 2014 through February 2017:
- Eddie Bauer Slumber and Soothe Bassinet (Model #BT055CSY)
- Disney Baby Doze and Dream Bassinet (Model #BT071DHS)
Need a Baby Sleeper Lawyer in Texas?
Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged.
Collen’s amazing success in the courtroom and well known dedication to his clients has earned him the recognition of his peers as one of The Top Trial Lawyers in Texas.”
The Clark Firm has assembled a team of trial lawyers with more than 100 years experience, participation in over 600 jury trials and $260 million in verdicts and/or settlements. Please use the form below to contact our law firm for a free case review.