The family members of women who were killed from side effects of Ocella are encouraged to file an Ocella wrongful death lawsuit. Bayer is already facing dozens of these lawsuits, and litigation is currently moving forward. Many families are angry because they were unaware of the life-threatening side effects of Ocella, which new studies have found are significantly higher than for other contraceptives.
Do I Have an Ocella Lawsuit? Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged. If you or a loved one has been injured by blood clots, you should contact our lawyers immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit.
Experts have long known that progestin increases the risk of hyperkalemia (high levels of potassium) and blood clots. Ocella contains a new type of synthetic progestin, called drospirenone. Several massive studies have found a three-fold increased risk of blood clots associated with drospirenone, significantly higher than for other contraceptives. Despite the increased risk, Ocella is equally effective at preventing pregnancy.
Despite these risks, many women were unaware of the life-threatening risks before they chose to use a drospirenone-containing birth control pill. This is because Bayer chose to advertise drospirenone contraceptives with an ad campaign that made claims the FDA would later call “misleading.” Bayer falsely claimed that the new pills could treat acne and PMS, while failing to include risk information and implying that the new pills were superior to older contraceptives.
Ocella Wrongful Death
Many families of women who were injured, disabled, or killed after taking Ocella are angry because Bayer failed to warn them of the life-threatening risks of side effects. Some are now seeking justice and financial compensation by filing an Ocella wrongful death lawsuit. In fact, Bayer faces at least 50 wrongful death lawsuits filed by the family members of women who died after taking a drospirenone contraceptive.
Even women who are young, healthy, physically active, with no history of blood clots or other risk factors, have suffered the deadly side effects of these birth control pills. If you decide to file an Ocella wrongful death lawsuit, you may be entitled to financial compensation for pain and suffering, medical bills, decreased quality of life, lost income, and more.
Ocella Side Effects
The life-threatening side effects of Ocella include the following:
- Hyperkalemia: Normally, the body keeps potassium in a strict balance, with very little in the bloodstream. The hormones in Ocella can throw off this balance, causing toxically high levels of potassium in the bloodstream — a condition called hyperkalemia. It is often symptomless and under-diagnosed, but can cause a severe and deadly irregular heart rhythm. It can also increase the risk of blood clots.
- Blood clots: Recent studies have associated drospirenone with as much as a three-fold increased risk of blood clots. When a blood clot forms in the body, there is a risk that it could cause serious venous damage, or break loose and get trapped inside a major internal organ. This can severely disrupt circulation.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT): When a blood clot forms inside a vein deep in the body. Typically, DVT blood clots occur in the lower leg, thigh, pelvis, or upper arm. Around 50% of DVT clots in the thigh cause pulmonary embolisms.
- Pulmonary Embolism: Occurs when a blood clot obstructs a vessel in the lungs.
- Heart Attack: If a blood clot obstructs a coronary artery, the heart muscle will be unable to receive the oxygen-rich blood it needs to pump blood.
- Cardiac Arrest: If the heart is not able to efficiently pump blood into the lungs or body, cardiac arrest occurs. It may be caused by severely irregular heart rhythm or a pulmonary embolism.
- Stroke: When a blood clot is pumped into the brain, it causes a stroke. Small blood clots that cause minor brain damage can set of the ischemic cascade, a series of events that causes massive brain swelling and damage.
Do I have an Ocella Lawsuit?
Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged.
Collen’s amazing success in the courtroom and well known dedication to his clients has earned him the recognition of his peers as one of The Top Trial Lawyers in Texas.”
The Clark Firm has assembled a team of trial lawyers with more than 100 years experience, participation in over 600 jury trials and $260 million in verdicts and/or settlements. Please use the form below to contact us for a free case review.