Exploding hoverboards have caused at least 60 fires and dozens of severe burn injuries. Over half a million were recalled by 10 manufacturers after 99 reports of lithium-ion batteries overheating and bursting into flames.
Need a Texas Hoverboard Lawyer? Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged. If you or a loved one was injured by an exploding hoverboard battery that caught on fire, you should contact our lawyers immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit.
LayZ Board Hoverboard Linked to Deadly Fire
In May 2017, LayZ Board hoverboards were linked to a deadly house fire in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania that killed two young girls in mid-March. A firefighter also died in a car accident on his way to the scene. Over 3,000 LayZ Board hoverboards were imported to the U.S. from China. Click here to read more.
Swagway Class Action Lawsuit
In December 2015, a class action (PDF) was filed against Swagway by a man whose hoverboard exploded and burned part of his house after just 45 minutes of charging. The case was filed in the Northern District of Indiana — In Re: Michael Brown v. Swagway LLC — Case No. 3:15-cv-00588.
What is a Hoverboard?
Hoverboards or “self-balancing scooters” are battery-powered two-wheeled vehicles. The rider stands on a platform between the wheels and leans forward or backward to accelerate or reverse.
Exploding Hoverboard Recall
In July 2016, the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) recalled over 500,000 hoverboards from 10 manufacturers after receiving 99 reports of batteries exploding or catching on fire.
Who Are the Worst Offenders?
As of mid-2016, hoverboards linked to the most explosions and injuries include:
- Swagway X1 Smartboard — 42 reports of battery fires or explosions, 16 reports of injuries (severe burns to the leg, neck, and arm) or property damage.
- Hoverboard Powerboards — 27 reports of overheating, sparking, or catching on fire. One report of property damage. Products sold at mall kiosks and online.
- Digital Gadgets Hover-Way — 17 reports of battery packs overheating, 2 reports of burn injuries, 2 reports of property damage. Products sold on QVC’s TV shopping channel.
What is the problem?
The CPSC investigated 60 fires in 20 states that caused over $2 million in property damage. There have been reports of hoverboards exploding underfoot and burning down houses when they were being charged.
Lithium-Ion Battery Explosions
Lithium-ion batteries went mainstream in the 1990s in handheld video cameras. Over the next two decades, these batteries powered a revolution in consumer electronics. They pack a lot of power in a small size, recharge quickly, and weigh less than normal batteries.
Why Do Lithium-Ion Batteries Explode?
Lithium-ion batteries work by moving lithium particles between positive and negative electrodes. The particles move inside a pressurized cell that contains highly-flammable chemicals, producing heat. Overheated batteries can ignite the chemicals and cause fires or explosions.
Vecaro Hoverboard Recall
In March 2017, about 600 Vecaro LifeStyle hoverboards were recalled after at least 3 reports of the batteries overheating and smoking. The recall includes Verona Glide65, Drift8, and Trek10 hoverboards. Click here to read more.
List of Hoverboard Recalls
- Digital Gadgets LLC – Hover-Way (16,000)
- Hoverboard LLC – Powerboard (70,000)
- Hype Wireless – Hype Roam (25,000)
- Keenford – iMoto (84,000)
- PTX Performance Products USA – Airwalk Self-Balancing Electric Scooter (4,900)
- Razor USA LLC – Hovertrax (28,000)
- Swagway LLC – Swagway X1 (267,000)
- Yuka Clothing – Wheeli, 2Wheelz, Back to the Future, Mobile Tech, HoverShark, NWS, X, Glider, and X-Rider (800)
- Boxcov’s – Orbit (1,300)
- Overstock.com – All hoverboards (4,300)
- Vecaro LifeStyle (600)
- World Trading Orbit Hoverboards (1,900)
- iRover Hoverboards (2,800)
Need a Hoverboard Lawyer in Texas?
Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged.
Collen’s amazing success in the courtroom and well known dedication to his clients has earned him the recognition of his peers as one of The Top Trial Lawyers in Texas.”
The Clark Firm has assembled a team of trial lawyers with more than 100 years experience, participation in over 600 jury trials and $260 million in verdicts and/or settlements. Please use the form below to contact our Texas hoverboard lawyers for a free lawsuit review.