Beyaz contains drospirenone, a synthetic progestin that has been associated with a three-fold increased risk of blood clots, and other deadly side effects including stroke, pulmonary embolism, heart attack, and more. Unfortunately, many women were completely unaware of this risk before they used Beyaz. If you family member died after using Beyaz, you may have a Beyaz wrongful death lawsuit.
Do I Have a Beyaz Lawsuit? Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged. If you or a loved one has been injured by blood clots, you should contact our lawyers immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit.
Beyaz Wrongful Death Lawsuit
If your family member was the victim of Beyaz side effects, you are not alone. You may be entitled to significant financial compensation for your loss if you decide to file a Beyaz wrongful death lawsuit.
Beyaz birth control contains drospirenone, a “fourth generation” version of a female reproductive hormone called progestin. Experts have known for many years that progestin slightly increases the risk of blood clots, compared to women who do not take birth control pills. Unfortunately, there is now strong scientific evidence that drospirenone is associated with an even higher risk of blood clots compared to other synthetic progestins (levonorgestrel, for example).
The problem is that many women may have been unaware of the actual risks of drospirenone before they decided to take Beyaz, or another contraceptive containing drospirenone. This is because Bayer, the company responsible for Beyaz, initially advertised the new “fourth generation” contraceptives with ads that the FDA called “misleading.”
The ads failed to communicate risk information, implied that the new contraceptives were superior to older contraceptives, and claimed they could treat acne and PMS when the FDA never approved such indications. The FDA sent three warning letters, in 2003, 2008, and 2009, indicating ongoing problems with the advertising.
It was not until 2010 that Bayer voluntarily ran a corrective ad campaign, and more women finally became aware of the risks of these “fourth generation” contraceptives. By that time, however, thousands had been injured and dozens had died. Many families of these women are now filing Beyaz wrongful death lawsuits.
Beyaz Side Effects
- Hyperkalemia: This life-threatening metabolic side effect occurs when the body cannot control the amount of potassium in the blood, leading to toxic high levels of potassium. This can increase the risk of a blood clot. Furthermore, despite a lack of symptoms, hyperkalemia can also cause a sudden, severe, and deadly irregular heartbeat.
- Blood clots: Accumulations of red blood cells, platelets, and other substances. The biggest risk is that they could travel in the bloodstream, obstruct a major blood vessel, and cause severe organ damage in the heart, brain, or lungs.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT): DVT occurs when blood clots form spontaneously inside veins, typically in the lower leg, thigh, pelvis, or upper arm. The most common site is the calf or thigh. DVT clots in the thigh cause pulmonary embolisms in around 50% of cases.
- Pulmonary embolism: If a blood clot forms due to DVT, there is a risk that it could travel to the lungs and become trapped in a smaller blood vessel. The resulting obstruction can cause severe damage to the lungs, heart, or other organs.
- Cardiac arrest: This occurs when the heart cannot pump blood effectively, which results in severe internal organ damage. Cardiac arrest is a potential complication of hyperkalemia, pulmonary embolism, and blood clots.
- Heart attack: The heart muscle requires a constant supply of oxygen-rich blood to pump. When a blood clot obstructs a coronary artery, the heart is deprived of blood, and it can quickly become severely damaged.
- Ischemic stroke: If a blood clot obstructs a blood vessel in the brain, brain tissues become damaged due to a lack of oxygen. This can quickly escalate to severe swelling, inflammation, and damage to the entire brain.
Do I have a Beyaz Lawsuit?
Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged.
Collen’s amazing success in the courtroom and well known dedication to his clients has earned him the recognition of his peers as one of The Top Trial Lawyers in Texas.”
The Clark Firm has assembled a team of trial lawyers with more than 100 years experience, participation in over 600 jury trials and $260 million in verdicts and/or settlements. Please use the form below to contact us for a free case review.