Lawsuits have been filed after the cancer-causing chemical benzene was found in many popular sunscreen sprays, lotions, gels, and aloe vera products.
Need a Texas Sunscreen Benzene Lawyer? Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged. If you or a loved one was diagnosed with cancer, leukemia, or other side effects of benzene in sunscreen, you should contact our lawyers immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit.
UPDATE: Banana Boat Recalls 3 Batches of Hair & Scalp Sunscreen for Benzene
In July 2022, a recall was issued for certain 6-oz bottles of Banana Boat Hair & Scalp Sunscreen Spray (SPF 30) after they tested positive for “trace levels of benzene,” according to the manufacturer.
The recall only involves three lot codes, which are printed on the bottom of the can:
- Lot Code 20016AF — Expiration December 2022
- Lot Code 20084BF — Expiration February 2023
- Lot Code 21139AF — April 2024
Coppertone Sunscreen Spray Recall
In September 2021, Coppertone recalled certain Coppertone spray sunscreens made from January 10, 2021 through June 15, 2021 due to benzene. According to the recall notice:
“Benzene is classified as a human carcinogen. Exposure to benzene can occur through inhalation, oral, and skin and it could, depending on the level and extent of exposure, result in an increased risk of cancers including leukemia, and blood cancer of the bone marrow and other blood disorders which can be life-threatening.”
The recall involves the following spray sunscreens:
- Coppertone Pure & Simple SPF 50 5.0 oz aerosol sunscreen spray
- (Lot# TN00CJ4, Lot# TN00BR2)
- Coppertone Pure & Simple Kids SPF 50 5.0 oz aerosol sunscreen spray
- (Lot# TN00857, Lot# TN00CJV, Lot# TN00854, Lot# TN00855)
- Coppertone Pure & Simple Baby SPF 50 5.0 oz aerosol sunscreen spray
- (Lot# TN009GH, Lot# TN0083K, Lot# TN0083J)
- Coppertone Sport Mineral SPF 50 5.0 oz aerosol sunscreen spray
- (Lot# TN008KU, Lot# TN008KV)
- Travel-size Coppertone Sport Spray SPF 50 1.6 oz aerosol sunscreen spray
- (Lot# TN00BU3)
Researchers Find Another Cancer-Causing Chemical Found in Sunscreen
In August 2021, researchers found another potentially carcinogenic chemical in sunscreen and demanded recalls.
The researchers warned that 2,400 sunscreens are made with octocrylene, a chemical that may contain benzophenone, which is a suspected carcinogen (cancer-causing substance).
The following sunscreens tested positive for benzophenone:
- Beiersdorf AG’s Coppertone Water Babies spray
- Edgewell Personal Care Co.’s Banana Boat SPF 50 lotion
- Neutrogena Beach Defense spray and lotion from Johnson & Johnson
- And more
Benzene in Sunscreen
Sunscreen is supposed to protect you from skin cancer, but dozens of popular sunscreen sprays and other sun-care products have tested positive for benzene, a toxic cancer-causing (carcinogenic) chemical.
Johnson & Johnson and CVS Recall 7 Sunscreens and Aloe Vera for Benzene
In July 2021, Johnson & Johnson and CVS announced recalls for the following spray sunscreens and aloe vera products due to benzene contamination:
- NEUTROGENA® Beach Defense® aerosol sunscreen
- NEUTROGENA® Cool Dry Sport aerosol sunscreen
- NEUTROGENA® Invisible Daily™ defense aerosol sunscreen
- NEUTROGENA® Ultra Sheer® aerosol sunscreen
- AVEENO® Protect + Refresh aerosol sunscreen
- CVS Health® After Sun Aloe Vera
- CVS Health® After Sun Aloe Vera Spray
What is Benzene?
Benzene is an industrial chemical that is known to cause cancer, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). It can absorbed through the skin if a person uses a sunscreen or sun-care product that contains benzene.
List of Cancers Linked to Benzene
- Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML)
- Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia (ALL)
- Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL)
- Hairy Cell Leukemia (HCL)
- Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
- Multiple Myeloma
- Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDL)
- Myelofibrosis and Myeloid Metaplasia
- Aplastic Anemia
- Thrombocytopenic Purpura
- And more
How Does Benzene Get Into Sunscreen?
Benzene is not an ingredient that is added to sunscreen or listed on the label, but it has been found in some sunscreens, likely due to manufacturing problems. Not all sunscreens have tested positive, but some have been found to contain 3-times the FDA concentration limit.
Lab Tests Find Benzene in 78 Sunscreens and Sun-Care Products
In May 2021, the independent laboratory Valisure reported that 78 sunscreens and sun-care products tested positive for benzene, or about 27% of the samples they tested. The list of contaminated products includes a variety of spray sunscreens, lotions, gels, and aloe vera products.
Valisure asked the FDA and manufacturers to recall 40 products that had the highest levels of benzene, including:
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Weightless Sunscreen Spray (SPF 100+ and SPF 70+)
- Sun Bum Cool Down Gel
- Neutrogena Beach Defense Oil-Free Body Sunscreen Spray SPF 100+
- Neutrogena Invisible Daily Defense Body Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 60+
- Neutrogena CoolDry Sport Water-Resistant Sunscreen Spray SPF 70
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Body Mist Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30, SPF 45 Spray
- Neutrogena Beach Defense Spray Body Sunscreen SPF 50
- CVS Health After-Sun Aloe Vera Soothing Spray
- CVS Health After-Sun Aloe Vera Moisturizing Gel
- SunBurnt Advanced After-Sun Gel
- Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel
- Banana Boat Kids Max Protect & Play Sunscreen C-Spray, SPF 100
- Banana Boat UltraMist Deep Tanning Dry Oil Continuous Clear Spray SPF 4
- Banana Boat Ultra Sport Clear Sunscreen Spray SPF 100
- EltaMD UV Aero Broad-Spectrum Fully-Body Sunscreen Spray, SPF 45
- Raw Elements Eco Formula Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
- Goodsense Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
- TopCare Everyday Ultimate Sheer Sunscreen Lotion SPF 70
- And more
Need a Sunscreen Benzene Lawyer in Texas?
Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged.
Collen’s amazing success in the courtroom and well known dedication to his clients has earned him the recognition of his peers as one of The Top Trial Lawyers in Texas.”
The Clark Firm has assembled a team of trial lawyers with more than 100 years experience, participation in over 600 jury trials and $260 million in verdicts and/or settlements. Please use the form below to contact our law firm for a free case review.