St. Jude recalled the Fortify, Unify, and Assura implantable cardiac defibrillators (ICDs) because the battery can run out too soon. This may require emergency surgery or it can cause death.
Need a Texas St. Jude ICD Defibrillator Lawyer? Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged. If you or a loved one died or needed emergency replacement of a St. Jude defibrillator, you should contact our lawyers immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit.
What is the problem?
St. Jude Medical announced a Class I recall for 175,625 implantable cardiac defibrillators (ICDs) because the battery can deplete prematurely. If this occurs, patients will need emergency surgery to remove and replace the defibrillator. If it is not removed, patients may suffer death.
St. Jude Defibrillator Recall
St. Jude announced recalls for the Fortify, Unify, and Assura (including Quadra) ICDs and Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy Defibrillators (CRT-D) distributed from February 2010 through October 2016.
How Do They Work?
ICDs and CRT-Ds deliver a powerful electrical shock when they detect abnormally slow or fast heart rhythms. They are used to treat patients who have heart failure or abnormal heartbeats. ICDs and CRT-Ds are implanted under the patient’s skin in the chest with a wire called a “lead” that goes into the heart to deliver the electrical shock.
What Defibrillators Were Recalled?
- Fortify VR: Model No(s). CD1231-40, CD1231-40Q
- Fortify ST VR: Model No(s). CD1241-40, CD1241-40Q
- Fortify Assura VR: Model No(s). CD1257-40, CD1257-40Q, CD1357-40C
- Fortify Assura ST VR: Model No(s). CD1263-40, CD1263-40Q, CD1363-40C, CD1363-40Q
- Fortify DR: Model No(s). CD2231-40, CD2231-40Q
- Fortify ST DR: Model No(s). CD2241-40, CD2241-40Q
- Fortify Assura DR: Model No(s). CD2257-40, CD2257-40Q, CD2357-40C, CD2357-40Q
- Fortify Assura ST DR: Model No(s). CD2263-40, CD2363-40C, CD2363-40Q
- Unify: Model No(s). CD3231-40, CD3231-40Q
- Unify Quadra: Model No(s). CD3249-40, CD3249-40Q
- Unify Assura: Model No(s). CD3257-40, CD3357-40C, CD3357-40Q
- Quadra Assura: Model No(s). CD3265-40, CD3265-40Q, CD3365-40C, CD3365-40Q
- Quadra Assura MP: Model No(s). CD3269-40, CD3269-40Q, CD3369-40C
Battery Performance Alert
In August 2017, St. Jude notified doctors about a new battery-performance tool called the Battery Performance Alert (BPA). It will detect poor battery performance and notify the physician.
What Should I Do?
If the Battery Performance Alert (BPA) is triggered, the patient will need to undergo emergency surgery to replace the defibrillator.
For more information, or if you notice changes in the battery life of your defibrillator, contact a Sales Representative or Abbot Technical Services at 1-(800)-722-3774 — 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Need a St. Jude Defibrillator Lawyer in Texas?
Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged.
Collen’s amazing success in the courtroom and well known dedication to his clients has earned him the recognition of his peers as one of The Top Trial Lawyers in Texas.”
The Clark Firm has assembled a team of trial lawyers with more than 100 years experience, participation in over 600 jury trials and $260 million in verdicts and/or settlements. Please use the form below to contact our Texas St. Jude defibrillator lawyers for a free lawsuit review.