Multiple recalls have been issued for fresh and frozen spinach that tested positive for Listeria or Salmonella.
Need a Texas Food Poisoning Lawyer? Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged. If you or a loved one was diagnosed with food poisoning after eating recalled spinach, you should contact our lawyers immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit in Texas.
2019 Dole Baby Spinach Recall
In August 2019, Dole recalled fresh baby spinach in plastic bags and clamshell boxes after a product in Michigan tested positive for Salmonella.
The recall involves items with Use-By dates of 08-05-2019 that were distributed in IL, IN, KY, MI, NJ, NY, OH, TN, VA, and WI. The following products are affected by the recall:
- 6-oz bags of Dole Baby Spinach (Lot W20308A and UPC code 0-71430-00964-2)
- 10-oz clamshell containers of Dole Baby Spinach (Lot W203010 and UPC code 0-71430-00016-8).
2019 Frozen Spinach Recall
In June 2019, Sprouts Farmers Market announced a recall for frozen cut-leaf spinach after finished products tested positive for Listeria.
The recall involves the following products:
- Sprouts Frozen Cut Leaf Spinach — 16oz. bag, UPC 87487500982, Lot 19031203A03, USE BY 12/03/21
- Sprouts Frozen Organic Cut Leaf Spinach — 16oz. bag, UPC 87487500991, Lot 19031203A03, USE BY 12/03/21
They were sold at Sprouts Farmers Market grocery stores in Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, Colorado, Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia.
2015 Spinach Recall for Listeria Risk
Coastal Green Vegetable Company, LLC, of Oxnard, California, initiated a recall for bulk organic spinach on March 20, 2015. The recall was issued after a microbiology report detected Listeria contamination in products that were already shipped out.
Coastal Greens supplied spinach to a number of companies. Approximately 30 different products have been recalled by a number of major retailers and grocery stores, including Target, Costco, Wegmans, Meijer, Smart & Final, and Amy’s Kitchen.
No illnesses have been linked to the outbreaks. The voluntary recalls are being taken “out of an abundance of caution.” Because these products are frozen, it is likely that many consumers still have them at home in the freezer.
The FDA has issued the following recalls:
- Twin City Foods, Inc. (Meijer, Wegmans): Recall for frozen packages of organic spinach, including Cadia Organic Cut Spinach, Meijer Organics, Wild Harvest, and Wegmans Organic.
- Amy’s Kitchen: Recall for 74,000 cases of 13 different products containing organic spinach (vegetable lasagna, tofu scramble, enchilada verde, spinach pizza, stuffed pasta shell bowls, brown rice & vegetable bowl, and more).
- La Terra Fina (Costco, Smart & Final): Recall for Organic Spinach Dip, Spinach Artichoke & Parmesan Dip sold at Costco and Smart & Final.
- Superior Foods, Inc. (Target): Recall for 8,475 cases of Simply Balance Frozen Organic Chopped Spinach sold exclusively at Target retail stores nationwide.
Spinach Food Poisoning
Recently, there have been several recalls for organic spinach products that were contaminated with E. coli. However, this is the first time in at least five years that recalls have been issued for Listeria monocytogenes.
What is Listeriosis?
Listeriosis is a foodborne illness caused by Listeria monocytogenes, a bacteria that is found in soil and water. Unlike other germs, Listeria can grow in the cold temperatures of a refrigerator or deli counter.
Listeria is one of the least common causes of food poisoning outbreaks, but infections tend to be very serious — especially for pregnant women, young children, older adults, or people with weakened immune systems.
If the infection spreads to the nervous system, symptoms may include headache, stiff neck, confusion, loss of balance, and convulsions.
Symptoms of listeriosis:
- Body chills
- Upset stomach
- Abdominal pain and cramping
Need a Food Poisoning Lawyer in Texas?
Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged.
Collen’s amazing success in the courtroom and well known dedication to his clients has earned him the recognition of his peers as one of The Top Trial Lawyers in Texas.”
The Clark Firm has assembled a team of trial lawyers with more than 100 years experience, participation in over 600 jury trials and $260 million in verdicts and/or settlements. Please use the form below to contact our lawyers for a free case review.