A growing number of lawsuits have been filed by women who took the fertility drug Serophene and had a baby with a birth defect, such as spina bifida or heart defects.
Need a Texas Serophene Lawyer? Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged. If you or a loved one had a baby with a birth defect, you should contact our lawyers immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit in Texas.
What is Serophene?
Serophene, the brand-name of clomiphene (Clomid) is a fertility medicine for women with ovulatory dysfunction who want to get pregnant. It works by causing the pituitary gland to release a hormone that stimulates the release of an egg from the ovary.
What is the problem?
Birth defects are more likely to occur in pregnant women on Serophene, often because they continue taking it because they are not aware a pregnancy has occurred.
Pregnancy Category X
Serophene is Pregnancy Category X, which means it should not be used during pregnancy due to the risk of birth defects.
During clinical trials, a wide range of birth defects and birth anomalies were reported. About 20% of women had spontaneous abortions (miscarriage). About 5-10% of women have multiples (twins or triplets).
According to the Prescribing Information for Serophene, each of the following fetal abnormalities were reported at a rate of less than 1% (experiences are listed in order of decreasing frequency):
- Congenital heart lesions, Down syndrome, club foot, congenital gut lesions, hypospadias, microcephaly, harelip and cleft palate, congenital hip, hemangioma, undescended testicles, polydactyly, conjoined twins and teratomatous malformation, patent ductus arteriosus, amaurosis, arteriovenous fistula, inguinal hernia, umbilical hernia, syndactyly, pectus excavatum, myopathy, dermoid cyst of scalp, omphalocele, spina bifida occulta, ichthyosis, and persistent lingual frenulum.
CDC Issues Warning for Clomid Birth Defect Risk
In November 2010, the journal Human Reproduction has published a study of birth defects associated with Clomid from 1997-2005.
Conclusions were based on small numbers, but were significant enough that the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) issued a warning.
Using data from the National Birth Defects Prevention Study, researchers linked Clomid and the following birth defects:
- Anencephaly: Open skull with absence of brain
- Heart defects: Septal heart defects (“hole in the heart”), coarctation of the aorta, and muscular ventricular septal defect
- Esophageal atresia: Narrow or closed esophagus
- Craniosynostosis: Skull defect in which soft bone plates fuse prematurely
- Omphalocele: Intestines protrude outside the body through a hole in the abdomen
- Dandy-Walker malformation: Brain defect
- Cloacal exstrophy: Multiple birth defects of the genitals, urinary tract, and gastrointestinal system
Serophene Birth Defect Lawyers
Lawsuits can help pay for your child’s medical bills and other expenses. Health insurance might not entirely cover these expenses and your child may need ongoing therapy or additional surgeries.
You may have to take time off work to provide necessary care.The sooner you file a lawsuit the better — every state has a time-limit called a “statute of limitations” on how long you are eligible to file a claim.
The Clark Firm, LLP is nationally recognized as a class action law firm in Texas. However, our attorneys are not pursuing a Serophene class action at this time. Instead, we are filing individual lawsuits and only accepting cases involving serious birth defects, such as:
- Neural tube (spina bifida)
- Heart defects
- Skull defects
- Abdominal or gastrointestinal defects (omphalocele)
- Cleft lip/palate
- Limb defects
- And more
Need a Serophene Lawyer in Texas?
Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged.
Collen’s amazing success in the courtroom and well known dedication to his clients has earned him the recognition of his peers as one of The Top Trial Lawyers in Texas.”
The Clark Firm has assembled a team of trial lawyers with more than 100 years experience, participation in over 600 jury trials and $260 million in verdicts and/or settlements. Please use the form below to contact our Texas Serophene lawyers for a free lawsuit review.