Ovral is a birth control pill that contains 50-micrograms of estrogen. Unfortunately, recent studies have linked birth control pills with high doses of estrogen to a tripled increased risk of breast cancer.
What is Ovral?
Ovral is a combination hormonal birth control pill manufactured by Pfizer and sold by Akrimax Pharmaceuticals. It contains estrogen and progestin in two strengths:
- Ovral-28: Norgestrel (500-micrograms) and Ethinyl Estradiol (50-micrograms).
- Lo/Ovral-28: Norgestrel (300-micrograms) and Ethinyl Estradiol (30-micrograms).
Ovral helps prevent pregnancy by thickening vaginal fluid and thinning the lining of the uterus, which decreases the chance a sperm will fertilize an egg. Each pack contains 28 tablets, with 21 active pills and 7 inactive pills. Lo/Ovral is available as a brand-name and generic drug.
January 31, 2012 — Pfizer Inc. has initiated a voluntary recall for Lo/Ovral-28 because some products may have an inexact number of inactive or active pills and the tablets may be out of order. Women who use these pills may be at risk for unintended pregnancy.
Study Links Breast Cancer and High-Estrogen Birth Control Pills
August 2014 — Cancer Research has published a study linking the use of birth control pills to a 50% increased risk of breast cancer for women under 50 years old. They found a 2.7-fold increased risk of breast cancer for women on pills containing at least 50-micrograms of ethinyl estradiol, such as Ovral.
Other studies have also linked oral contraceptives and breast cancer. Estrogen is known to stimulate proliferation of epithelial cells in the breast, which causes breast growth. Unfortunately, it also increases the risk of malignant cell mutations. Click here to read more.
What are the Symptoms of Breast Cancer?
- Lump in the breast or armpit
- Hard “marble” felt under the skin on the breast
- Swelling in the armpit
- Breast pain or tenderness
- Changes in breast size, shape (such as flattening or indentation)
- Changes in skin texture (may be reddish and pitted like an orange or lemon)
- Nipple discharge that is clear, bloody, or other color
- Nipple itching, burning, ulceration, indentation
- And more