Hyland’s homeopathic tablets and gels for teething babies contain belladonna (deadly nightshade). They have been linked to 10 deaths and over 400 reports of seizures and other symptoms of belladonna poisoning.
Need a Texas Hyland’s Teething Tablet Lawyer? Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged. If you or a loved one was injured, you should contact our lawyers immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit.
Hyland’s homeopathic teething tablets and gels for babies contain belladonna, also known as “deadly nightshade,” an extremely toxic plant that is dangerous in even small amounts — especially when routinely given to teething babies.
Hyland’s Teething Tablet Recall
On October 23, 2010, Hyland’s recalled all lots of homeopathic teething tablets and gels. The company “re-formulated” the products, but did not remove belladonna, and they returned to store shelves in 2011.
10 Baby Deaths and 400 Injuries Reported in Six Years
Between 2010 and 2016, there were 10 reports of babies who died and another 400 who had seizures, fevers, or other symptoms of belladonna poisoning after being given homeopathic teething remedies, according to FDA spokesperson Lyndsay Meyer.
FDA: Do Not Use Homeopathic Teething Tablets & Gels
On September 30, the FDA warned consumers against using homeopathic teething tablets and gels. The warning came about six years after another FDA warning in October 2010, when the agency told parents to stop using Hyland’s Teething Tablets and throw them away immediately due to the risk of harming children.
What is the problem?
- Deadly nightshade poisoning: The FDA has received hundreds of reports of babies who had seizures or symptoms of belladonna poisoning after being given Hyland’s Teething Tablets.
- Inconsistent amounts of belladonna: The FDA tested Hyland’s products and found that some products had more belladonna than others. Inspectors also found “substandard control of the manufacturing operation” at Hyland’s.
- Packaging is not child-safe: Hyland’s Teething Tablets and Gels do not have a child-resistant cap — they come in cardboard boxes and squeeze-tubes. There have been reports of children who consumed more than the recommended amount.
CVS and Hyland’s Stop Selling Teething Products
On September 30, 2016, CVS Pharmacy announced that it would stop selling all homeopathic teething remedies. On October 11, Hyland’s also said it would stop making the products, but did not issue a recall
What Products Were Pulled Off the Market?
- Baby Orajel Naturals Gel for Teething Pain, .33 oz
- Baby Orajel Naturals Gel for Teething Pain Nighttime Formula, .33 oz
- Baby Orajel Naturals Tablets for Teething Pain, 125 Count
- CVS Homeopathic Infant’s Teething Tablet, 135 Count
- CVS Homeopathic Infants’ Teething Liquid, .85 oz
- Hyland’s Baby Nighttime Teething Tablets, 135 Count
- Hyland’s Baby Teething Gel, .5 oz
- Hyland’s Baby Teething Tablets, 13 Count
- Hyland’s Baby Teething Tablets, 135 Count
- Hyland’s Teething Gel, .33 oz
How to Soothe Teething Babies Without Medications
Do not give your baby topical anesthetics gels like Benzocaine or Lidocaine — these can cause a rare but deadly reaction called methemoglobinemia. Instead, try gently massaging your baby’s gums using a clean finger. Or give your baby something safe to chew on — teething rings, a cold wet cloth (not frozen), or hard food like a cucumber if they are eating sold food.
Symptoms of Belladonna Poisoning
- Trouble breathing
- Excessive sleepiness
- Muscle weakness
- Fast heart-rate
- Hot body temperature
- Dry mouth
- Skin flushing
- Less urination
- Agitation or irritability
- Dilated pupils
Hyland’s Class Action Lawsuits
The Clark Firm, LLP is nationally recognized as a class action law firm, but we are not filing a class action lawsuit against Hyland’s. Instead, we are filing individual lawsuits on behalf of children who experienced seizures or other severe side effects after being given Hyland’s Teething Tablets & Gels.
Need a Hyland’s Teething Tablet Lawyer in Texas?
Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged.
Collen’s amazing success in the courtroom and well known dedication to his clients has earned him the recognition of his peers as one of The Top Trial Lawyers in Texas.”
The Clark Firm has assembled a team of trial lawyers with more than 100 years experience, participation in over 600 jury trials and $260 million in verdicts and/or settlements. Please use the form below to contact our Texas Hyland’s Teething Tablet lawyers for a free lawsuit review.