At least 4 people fell ill with Listeria, including 1 person who died, after eating various brands of ready-to-eat deli ham produced by Johnston County Hams.
Need a Texas Deli Ham Recall Lawyer? Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged. If you or a loved one was diagnosed with Listeria food poisoning from eating recalled deli ham, you should contact our lawyers immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit.
Deli Ham Recall
October 3, 2018 — Johnston County Hams, a Smithfield, North Carolina establishment, is recalling approximately 89,096 pounds of ready-to-eat ham products that may be contaminated with Listeria.
Recalled Ham Linked to 4 Illnesses, 1 Death
Investigators have confirmed that at least 4 people were diagnosed with Listeria after eating the recalled ham products, including 1 person who died, between July 8, 2017 and August 11, 2018.
The USDA collected two deli ham product samples from the Johnston County Hams, Inc. facility in 2016 and in early 2018. Whole genome sequencing showed that Listeria in deli ham both years was closely related genetically to Listeria from the sick people.
What Deli Ham Products Were Recalled?
The ready-to-eat deli-loaf ham was produced from April 3, 2017 to Oct. 2, 2018 and shipped to distributors in Maryland, North Carolina, New York, South Carolina and Virginia.
The following products were recalled:
- Varying weights of 7 to 8-lbs. plastic-wrapped “JOHNSTON COUNTY HAMS, INC. COUNTRY STYLE FULLY COOKED BONELESS DELI HAM.”
- Varying weights of 7 to 8-lbs. plastic-wrapped “Ole Fashioned Sugar Cured The Old Dominion Brand Hams Premium Fully Cooked Country Ham” with Sell-By dates from 4/10/2018 to 9/27/2019.
- Varying weights of 7 to 8-lbs. plastic-wrapped “Padow’s Hams & Deli, Inc. FULLY COOKED COUNTRY HAM BONELESS Glazed with Brown Sugar.”
- Varying weights of 7 to 8-lbs. plastic-wrapped “Premium Fully Cooked Country Ham LESS SALT Distributed By: Valley Country Hams LLC” with Sell-By dates from 4/10/2018 to 9/27/2019.
- Varying weights of 7 to 8-lbs. plastic-wrapped “GOODNIGHT BROTHERS COUNTRY HAM Boneless Fully Cooked.”
The recalled ham products are marked with establishment number “EST. M2646” inside the USDA mark of inspection.
Listeria Food Poisoning
Infections with the bacteria Listeria monocytogenes can take up to 2 months to cause symptoms. When symptoms do appear, they may include fever, muscle aches, headache, stiff neck, confusion, loss of balance, convulsions, diarrhea or other gastrointestinal symptoms.
In pregnant women, the infection can cause miscarriages, stillbirths, premature delivery or life-threatening infection of the newborn.
Persons in the higher-risk categories who experience flu-like symptoms within two months after eating contaminated food should seek medical care and tell the health care provider about eating the contaminated food.
Need a Ham Recall Lawyer in Texas?
Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged.
Collen’s amazing success in the courtroom and well known dedication to his clients has earned him the recognition of his peers as one of The Top Trial Lawyers in Texas.”
The Clark Firm has assembled a team of trial lawyers with more than 100 years experience, participation in over 600 jury trials and $260 million in verdicts and/or settlements. Please use the form below to contact our Texas ham recall lawyers for a free lawsuit review.