CNN is warning that dozens of AmazonBasics products are still being sold by Amazon, despite complaints of fires, explosions, or safety hazards.
Need a Texas AmazonBasics Fire Lawyer? Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged. If you or a loved one was injured or burned by AmazonBasics® electronics that caught on fire, you should contact our lawyers immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit.
AmazonBasics Electronics Linked to Fire Hazards
In September 2020, CNN warned that dozens of AmazonBasics® electronics linked to fire hazards were still for sale.
What is the Problem?
At least 70 AmazonBasics products have been linked to 1,500 reviews from people who said the product caught on fire, overheated, or posed other hazards, according to CNN. The products include USB cords, phone chargers, surge protectors, microwaves, paper shredders, and more.
Many Products Are Still for Sale
CNN warned that around 30 products with at least 3 reviews reporting a fire hazard were still for sale when the investigation was published on September 10, despite Amazon being notified of the problem.
AmazonBasics Recalls for Fire & Burn Hazards
Amazon responded to CNN with a blog post in an attempt to reassure their customers. Amazon said they have only recalled 2 AmazonBasics products since the brand was introduced in 2009.
However, the lack of recalls may be a sign that Amazon is not doing enough to respond to safety issues.
The last recall was in 2019, when Amazon recalled an AmazonBasics space heater that was linked to 25 reports of sparking, overheating, or burning.
In 2018, an AmazonBasics portable power bank was reaclled due to fire and chemical burn hazards. The product was linked to 53 reports of overheating or catching on fire, including one person who suffered chemical burns from the battery acid.
AmazonBasics Surge Protector Caught on Fire Like a “Blowtorch”
Some of the scariest reviews involve an AmazonBasics surge protector, which a father said turned into a “blowtorch” with flames shooting out.
In another review, a customer said their AmazonBasics surge protector caught on fire when it was plugged in but not being used. Amazon continued to sell it for another 2 years, despite another 40 unhappy customers describing fire hazards and safety problems.
Amazon Pays Settlement in USB Cord Fire Lawsuit
Amazon paid a confidential settlement to Austin P., a man who was burned when his AmazonBasics USB cord overheated, ignited the fabric on his chair, and sparked a fire inside his apartment.
Austin was hospitalized with 2nd-degree burns to his hands, arms, and fingers, throat injuries from the smoke, blistering, and scarring.
When CNN investigated, they found several old reviews on Amazon describing fire hazards from the USB cord. One review in May 2016 warned: “DO NOT BUY! FIRE HAZARD!” In June 2016, another person wrote: “End of the cable melted and started smoking. Glad we caught it before a fire.”
These reports were published more than a year before Austin’s USB cord overheated inside his apartment.
In January 2019, he filed a lawsuit (PDF) accusing Amazon of selling a defective product. Soon afterward, Amazon paid him a settlement.
Need an AmazonBasics Fire Lawyer in Texas?
Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged.
Collen’s amazing success in the courtroom and well known dedication to his clients has earned him the recognition of his peers as one of The Top Trial Lawyers in Texas.”
The Clark Firm has assembled a team of trial lawyers with more than 100 years experience, participation in over 600 jury trials and $260 million in verdicts and/or settlements. Please use the form below to contact our law firm for a free case review.