June 23, 2023 — Walmart and other stores in Texas have recalled a massive amount of frozen fruit due to a risk of food poisoning infections with Listeria.
The largest recall was issued by SunOpta Inc. on June 21, for a variety of frozen fruit products.
The products were sold in Texas and dozens of other states at Walmart, Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Target, and Aldi. The distribution dates range from October 2022 through June 2023, depending on the item.
On June 22, Scenic Fruit Company also recalled frozen fruit products that were sold in Texas at Trader Joe’s and health food stores.
The products include Trader Joe’s® Organic Tropical Fruit Blend (Pineapple, Banana, Strawberry, Mango) and Cadia® Organic Pineapple.
Other recalled products that were sold in Texas include:
- Walmart: Great Value Mixed Fruit, Great Value Dark Sweet Cherries, and Great Value Mango Chunks
- Whole Foods: 365 Organic Tropical Fruit Medley, 365 Organic Pineapple Chunks, 365 Pineapple Chunks, 365 Organic Whole Strawberries, 365 Organic Slice Strawberries and Bananas, and 365 Organic Blackberries
- Trader Joe’s: Trader Joe’s Organic Tropical Fruit Blend
- Target: Good & Gather Organic Cherries and Berries Fruit Blend, Good & Gather Dark Sweet Whole Pitted Cherries, Good & Gather Mango Strawberry Blend, Good & Gather Mixed Fruit Blend, Good & Gather Mango Chunks, Good & Gather Blueberries, and Good & Gather Triple Berry Blend
- Aldi: Season’s Choice Tropical Blend
No illnesses were reported, but infections with Listeria monocytogenes can be serious and sometimes fatal. Infections can spread to the brain and spinal cord, causing life-threatening meningitis, or other complications.
Pregnant women may show few symptoms, but suffer a miscarriage, stillbirth, or a life-threatening infection of the newborn baby.
Consumers who may have purchased these frozen fruit items are being urged to check their freezers. The recalled items can be returned to the store where they were purchased for a full refund.
Need a Food Poisoning Lawyer in Texas?
Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged.
Collen’s amazing success in the courtroom and well known dedication to his clients has earned him the recognition of his peers as one of The Top Trial Lawyers in Texas.”
The Clark Firm has assembled a team of trial lawyers with more than 100 years of experience, participation in over 600 jury trials, and $260 million in verdicts and/or settlements. Please use the form below to contact our law firm for a free case review.