Byetta (exenatide) has been linked to a potential increased risk of thyroid cancer, and the FDA has asked the drug-makers to conduct new studies regarding the potential risk. In the meantime, individuals who take Byetta should remain vigilant for symptoms of thyroid cancer. The thyroid gland is located in the center of the front of the neck, and thyroid cancer can cause pain, nodules, coughing, voice changes, problems swallowing, and more.
Do I Have a Texas Byetta Lawsuit? Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged. If you or a loved one was injured by Byetta, you should contact our lawyers immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a Byetta lawsuit in Texas.
Byetta and Thyroid Cancer
Individuals who use Byetta (exenatide) may be at risk of developing thyroid cancer, but the risk is still under investigation. In 2009, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) published a Drug Safety Communication to announce that drug-makers Amylin Pharmaceuticals and Eli Lilly & Co. must conduct 6 post-marketing surveillance studies to better understand the potential link between Byetta and thyroid cancer. The result of these studies are still pending.
However, in the meantime, a study published in Gastroenterology by researchers from UCLA has linked Byetta to at least 30 cases of thyroid cancer in the FDA MedWatch database. Although case reports alone do not prove that Byetta can cause thyroid cancer, the researchers recommended that patients with a family history of thyroid cancer should avoid Byetta.
Byetta Thyroid Cancer Symptoms
Thyroid cancer often has no symptoms in its early stages. However, as the cancer grows, it may produce the following symptoms:
- Lump on the neck: Thyroid cancer begins as a small nodule on the thyroid gland, usually in the center of the front of the neck. This nodule often goes unnoticed until a doctor performs a thyroid exam.
- Changes in tone of voice (hoarseness): The thyroid is located just below the voice box (larynx), and a nodule pressing on the larynx could change a person’s voice.
- Problems swallowing: The thyroid is in front of the windpipe, and a growing tumor could constrict the airway and make breathing and swallowing more difficult.
- Neck or throat pain
- Swollen lymph nodes: Thyroid cancer can spread to the lymph nodes and remain enlarged.
- Chronic cough
- Goiter: Severely enlarged thyroid gland
Do I have a Byetta Lawsuit in Texas?
Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged.
Collen’s amazing success in the courtroom and well known dedication to his clients has earned him the recognition of his peers as one of The Top Trial Lawyers in Texas.”
The Clark Firm has assembled a team of trial lawyers with more than 100 years experience, participation in over 600 jury trials and $60 million in verdicts and/or settlements. Please use the form below to contact us for a free Texas Byetta lawsuit review.