Do I Have a Texas Byetta Lawsuit? Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged. If you or a loved one was injured by Byetta, you should contact our lawyers immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a Byetta lawsuit in Texas.
What is the problem with Byetta?
Byetta (exenatide) is a pre-loaded injectable “pen” medication that is used to help people with type-2 diabetes control their blood sugar levels. The active drug in Byetta, exenatide, mimics the action of a pancreatic hormone called GLP-1, which stimulates the pancreas to produce extra insulin. Unfortunately, in some cases, GLP-1 mimics like Byetta can inflame the pancreas — a condition called pancreatitis. Although the original label on Byetta warned about the potential risk of pancreatitis, it did not carry warnings about pancreatic cancer.
Pancreatic Cancer Complications
The complications of pancreatic cancer include:
- Jaundice: Pancreatic cancer tumors can block the bile duct, which normally flows from the liver. This can cause jaundice. Symptoms include yellowing of the skin and eyes, dark-colored urine, and pale-colored stools.
- Pain: An inflamed, swollen pancreas or a growing tumor can cause severe pain in the abdomen.
- Bowel obstruction: If the pancreatic cancer grows very large, it may press on the upper part of the small intestine and cause a blockage.
- Diabetes: The pancreas is responsible for producing insulin, which is a metabolic hormone necessary to control blood-sugar levels. If the pancreas does not produce insulin (or other metabolic hormones), diabetes may occur.
- Weight loss, malnutrition: Unexplained weight loss is one of the first symptoms of pancreatic cancer. It is also a complication of cancer treatments, which often cause nausea and vomiting. The pancreas is also responsible for secreting digestive enzymes, and without these enzymes, the body may not be able to absorb nutrients from food.
- Infections: Chronic inflammation of the pancreas can damage pancreatic tissue or cause tissue death (necrosis). Bacterial infection of necrotic pancreatic tissue is a serious complication that may require surgery or placement of a stent to drain infected fluid.
- Spread of the cancer (metastasis): Because pancreatic cancer does not usually produce serious symptoms in its early stages, it is rarely diagnosed before it has spread. The pancreas is very close to other organs (stomach, spleen, liver, lungs, and intestines). Once pancreatic cancer spreads to other tissues, it is very difficult to treat.
- Death: Pancreatic cancer has one of the highest mortality rates of any cancer because it is rarely diagnosed in its early stages. Most people only get an early diagnosis if the tumor grows directly on the bile duct and causes jaundice. However, more than 95% of people with pancreatic cancer do not survive more than 5 years.
Do I have a Byetta Lawsuit in Texas?
Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged.
Collen’s amazing success in the courtroom and well known dedication to his clients has earned him the recognition of his peers as one of The Top Trial Lawyers in Texas.”
The Clark Firm has assembled a team of trial lawyers with more than 100 years experience, participation in over 600 jury trials and $60 million in verdicts and/or settlements. Please use the form below to contact us for a free Texas Byetta lawsuit review.