The lawsuit was filed on behalf of Andrea Robinson, an 18 year-old freshman who died of meningitis in February 2010. She allegedly contacted the college health center to report a fever spiking to 103.8º, but was told to take Tylenol, drink water, and get rest.
The lawsuit accuses the health center of misdiagnosing the woman and failing to give her adequate medical device during their phone conversation. It also accuses the university of failing to adequately warn students about a strain of bacterial meningitis on campus that had no vaccine.
The settlement was approved by Judge Patrick McGrath in the Ohio Court of Claims. It includes no admission of wrongdoing or liability by Ohio University.
Officials with the school have stated that insurance will cover $900,000 of the settlement, of which $585,000 will go to Robinson’s father, according to the Columbus Dispatch.
Bacterial meningitis is a severe, invasive infection that can cause brain damage, hearing loss, learning disabilities, and death. Infections are more likely to spread when large groups of people live together, especially college freshmen in residence halls.
Symptoms of meningitis include:
- Sudden onset of fever, headache, and stiff neck
- Nausea, vomiting
- Increased sensitivity to light
- Confusion or altered mental state
Need a Texas Bacterial Meningitis Injury Lawyer?
Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged.
Collen’s amazing success in the courtroom and well known dedication to his clients has earned him the recognition of his peers as one of The Top Trial Lawyers in Texas.”
The Clark Firm has assembled a team of trial lawyers with more than 100 years experience, participation in over 600 jury trials and $260 million in verdicts and/or settlements. Please use the form below to contact our Texas bacterial meningitis injury lawyers for a free lawsuit review.