October 1, 2015 — Nearly 1.3 million bicycles in the United States are being recalled by 13 manufacturers because the quick-release lever on the front wheel can hit the front disc brake rotor, causing the wheel to stop suddenly or detach from the bike.
There have been three incidents in which an open quick-release lever caused the front wheel to stop or break. In one incident, an adult male suffered a broken finger, wrist injury, shoulder injury, and abrasions. The other two incidents did not cause injury.
Earlier this year, Trek recalled about 1 million bicycles for the same problems. Three additional incidents were reported. Victims suffered quadriplegia (paralysis of all limbs and torso), facial lacerations, and a fractured wrist.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) announced an expanded recall involving 13 different manufacturers. According to the agency:
“When the front [quick-release lever] QR is fully opened, if there is less than 6 mm — or the width of a #2 pencil — between the QR and disk brake rotor on the wheel, the bicycle is included in this recall.”
Bicycles included in the recall:
- Accel North America (Diamondback, Raleigh) 2004-2015
- Advanced Sports International (Breezer, Fuji, SE) 2005-2015
- Cycling Sports Group (Cannondale, GT) 1998-2015
- Felt Racing (Felt) 2006-2015
- G. Joannou Cycle (Jamis) 2005-2015
- Giant Bicycle (Giant) 2003-2004
- Haro Bikes (Haro) 2000-2015
- LTP Sports Group (Norco) 2000-2015
- Performance Bicycle (Access) 2009-2015
- Quality Bicycle Products (Civia Cycles) 2008-2012
- REI (Novara) 2002-2015
- Ridley Bikes (Ridley) 2014-2015
- Specialized Bicycle Components (Specialized) 2002-2015
Need a Bike Accident Lawyer in Texas?
Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged.
Collen’s amazing success in the courtroom and well known dedication to his clients has earned him the recognition of his peers as one of The Top Trial Lawyers in Texas.”
The Clark Firm has assembled a team of trial lawyers with more than 100 years experience, participation in over 600 jury trials and $260 million in verdicts and/or settlements. Please use the form below to contact our Texas bike accident lawyers for a free lawsuit review.