The most serious side effects of Yasmin birth control pills can cause death. If your family member or loved one was the victim of Yasmin side effects, you are not alone. There are thousands of women who have been injured by Yasmin, and many have died.
Do I Have a Yasmin Lawsuit? Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged. If you or a loved one has been injured by blood clots, you should contact our lawyers immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit.
When Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) was initially sold in the U.S. in 2001, it was hailed as a revolutionary new contraceptive. It contained drospirenone, a new kind of synthetic progestin. Bayer launched Yasmin with a massive marketing campaign that implied Yasmin was superior to older birth control pills. In reality, studies would later reveal that drospirenone could triple a woman’s risk of blood clots, and yet Yasmin was no more effective at preventing pregnancy.
Yasmin Wrongful Death
If you are the family member of someone who died after using Yasmin, you are encouraged to file a Yasmin wrongful death lawsuit. You may be entitled to compensation for pain and suffering, medical expenses, decreased quality of life, lost income, and more. You have a right to seek justice for the loss of your loved one.
Many family members of women who died are angry at Bayer for failing to adequately warn about the risk of life-threatening side effects associated with Yasmin. This contraceptive has caused serious injury, disability, and death for young women who had no family history or risk factors for blood clots or other disorders.
Yasmin Side Effects
There is a long list of life-threatening side effects of Yasmin. Unfortunately, many women may have been unaware of these side effects before taking Yasmin. This is because Bayer’s massive advertising campaign failed to include risk information. Although Bayer ran a corrective ad campaign in 2010, this was more than 9 years after Yasmin was first sold in the U.S. By the time the public became aware of the risk, thousands of women had been seriously injured by Yasmin.
Life-threatening side effects of Yasmin include:
- Hyperkalemia: This under-diagnosed complication of Yasmin occurs when potassium gets too high in the bloodstream. It can cause sudden, severe irregular heart rhythm that causes cardiac arrest.
- Blood Clots: The FDA warns that Yasmin may triple the risk of blood clots. They form spontaneously, usually along the walls of veins located deep inside the body. The most serious risk is that the blood clot could break loose and get stuck in a major internal organ.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT): This is a venous condition in which blood clots form in the body (usually the lower leg, thigh, pelvis, or upper extremities). Around 50% of DVTs in the thigh cause a pulmonary embolism. DVT blood clots can also cause significant venous damage.
- Pulmonary Embolism: This condition occurs when a blood clot is pumped into the lungs and obstructs a major blood vessel.
- Cardiac Arrest: This occurs when the heart is not strong enough to pump blood into the body effectively. Cardiac arrest may be caused by severe irregular heart rhythm. It may also occur when a massive pulmonary embolism obstructs the blood vessel between the heart and the lungs; the heart is unable to pump hard or fast enough to force blood into the lungs.
- Heart Attack: When a blood clot is trapped in one of the three coronary arteries (arteries that supply the heart muscle with oxygenated blood)
- Ischemic stroke: This is a side effect that occurs when an arterial blood clot is pumped into the brain. A massive stroke can cause sudden death. Even small strokes can cause significant, permanent brain damage.
Do I have a Yasmin Lawsuit?
Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged.
Collen’s amazing success in the courtroom and well known dedication to his clients has earned him the recognition of his peers as one of The Top Trial Lawyers in Texas.”
The Clark Firm has assembled a team of trial lawyers with more than 100 years experience, participation in over 600 jury trials and $260 million in verdicts and/or settlements. Please use the form below to contact us for a free case review.