If your loved one died from side effects of Safyral birth control pills, you are likely seeking justice from the drug company that made Safyral. Bayer is now facing nearly 12,000 lawsuits, including wrongful death lawsuits, from women who were injured by side effects of its birth control pills.
Do I Have a Safyral Lawsuit? Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged. If you or a loved one has been injured by blood clots, you should contact our lawyers immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit.
Safyral Wrongful Death Lawsuits
If your family member or loved one died from side effects of Safyral, you are not alone. It is unknown exactly how many women have died after taking Safyral, but we do know that Bayer faces dozens of wrongful death lawsuits. Most people are angry at Bayer for failing to warn women about the life-threatening side effects of Safyral and other birth control pills.
Much consternation stems from one ingredient in Safyral: drospirenone, a new type of synthetic progestin. Most major studies have linked drospirenone to a slightly increased risk of developing a blood clot; some studies have found it triples the risk of a blood clot.
The problem is, when the first contraceptives containing drospirenone were initially sold, Bayer spent hundreds of millions of dollars on an ad campaign that the FDA called “misleading.” The ads failed to include risk information, they implied the new contraceptives were superior to older contraceptives, and they claimed that the pills could treat acne and PMS even though the FDA never approved them for such purposes.
Bayer later voluntarily ran a corrective advertising campaign, but not before thousands of women were injured by side effects of drospirenone. Now, many of the families of women who died from Safyral side effects are filing Safyral wrongful death lawsuits.
Safyral Side Effects
The life-threatening side effects of Safyral include the following:
- Hyperkalemia: This is a metabolic disorder that occurs when the hormones in Safyral throw off the body’s natural balance of intracellular and extracellular potassium, creating dangerously high levels of potassium in the bloodstream. The symptoms of hyperkalemia are deceptively benign, but it can increase the risk of blood clots and sudden, deadly irregular heart rhythm.
- Blood clots: Some studies have found drospirenone triples a woman’s risk of blood clots, which increases the risk of a fatal pulmonary embolism, heart attack, or stroke.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT): This occurs when red blood cells coagulate along the walls of blood vessels, most often in the calf or thigh. Blood clots in the thigh are most dangerous because around half cause a pulmonary embolism.
- Pulmonary Embolism: If a blood clot in a vein breaks loose, it can travel to the heart, which pumps it into the lungs. A blood clot that obstructs a blood vessel in the lungs can cause severe circulation problems, lung tissue damage, and heart problems.
- Cardiac arrest: This occurs when the heart is unable to pump blood to the body. Cardiac arrest may be caused by the severe irregular heart rhythm associated with hyperkalemia. It may also be caused by a complication of a pulmonary embolism, in which the heart is not able to pump hard enough to overcome a blood clot i the lungs.
- Heart attack: The heart requires a steady supply of oxygenated blood to pump blood. If a blood clot obstructs one of the three coronary arteries that supply blood to the heart, the heart muscle may become severely damaged or destroyed.
- Ischemic stroke: If a blood clot forms inside the heart or in an artery leading to the brain, the clot may be pumped into the brain. Parts of the brain that do not receive blood can become severely damaged. Furthermore, sections of damaged brain tissue can set off the ischemic cascade, resulting in severe swelling, inflammation, and damage to brain tissue.
Do I have a Safyral Lawsuit?
Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged.
Collen’s amazing success in the courtroom and well known dedication to his clients has earned him the recognition of his peers as one of The Top Trial Lawyers in Texas.”
The Clark Firm has assembled a team of trial lawyers with more than 100 years experience, participation in over 600 jury trials and $260 million in verdicts and/or settlements. Please use the form below to contact us for a free case review.