June 22, 2016 — WNYT reports that a lawsuit has been filed by a man from New York who was injured by an e-cigarette that exploded in his mouth.
The lawsuit was filed by Kenneth Barbero, who was quoted as saying “it was like an M-80 went off in my mouth.” His teeth were knocked out, a hole was ripped in his tongue, and his hands were severely burned.
According to a comprehensive list of e-cigarette explosions compiled by eCigOne, there have been 173 explosions that were reported in the media since 2009. It is likely that many more were never reported in the news.
For example, the list includes only one incident in Seattle, but the Seattle Times reports that 14 victims have been treated or hospitalized at Harborview Medical Center for e-cigarette injuries since October 2015.
Dr. Elisha Brownson, a burn and critical-care fellow at Harborview, said:
“The prevalence of these injuries is not decreasing. We were seeing one a month. Since March, we’ve seen at least two a month.”
As the number of e-cigarette explosions has increased, so has the number of lawsuits. Lawyers in St. Louis have filed lawsuits on behalf of at least 15 clients — including a 2-year old who was burned when his mother’s device exploded — since November 2015.
In October 2015, a jury in California awarded $1.9 million to Jennifer Ries, a woman who suffered 2nd-degree burns on her legs, buttocks, and hand after a VapCig e-cigarette exploded on her car charger.
Need an E-Cig Explosion Lawyer in Texas?
Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged.
Collen’s amazing success in the courtroom and well known dedication to his clients has earned him the recognition of his peers as one of The Top Trial Lawyers in Texas.”
The Clark Firm has assembled a team of trial lawyers with more than 100 years experience, participation in over 600 jury trials and $260 million in verdicts and/or settlements. Please use the form below to contact our Texas e-cig explosion lawyers for a free lawsuit review.