Byetta has been linked to high rates of dehydration and pancreatitis, which are known risk factors that can cause kidney failure. The FDA has also warned about more than 78 reports of kidney problems in Byetta patients, including 68 cases of kidney failure and 4 deaths.
Do I Have a Texas Byetta Lawsuit? Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged. If you or a loved one was injured by Byetta, you should contact our lawyers immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a Byetta lawsuit in Texas.
Does Byetta Cause Kidney Failure?
No one knows if Byetta causes kidney failure. However, there is strong evidence linking Byetta to an increased risk of kidney problems. Post-marketing reports include new cases of altered kidney function, worsening of chronic kidney problems, and acute kidney failure. Some patients required dialysis (mechanical cleaning of their blood) or kidney transplant. Although most Byetta patients with kidney problems stopped taking Byetta, one person who re-started Byetta suffered recurrence of altered kidney function.
Byetta is associated with the following risk factors for developing kidney failure:
- Dehydration: The most common side effects of Byetta (nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea) can lead to dehydration, which can reduce blood-flow to the kidneys and cause acute kidney failure.
- Pancreatitis: The active drugs in Byetta target the pancreas, which can cause inflammation (pancreatitis) in some individuals. In severe cases, the pancreas can start bleeding, which can decrease blood pressure and cause kidney failure. Pancreatitis can also lead to extreme malnutrition and dehydration, which is a risk factor for kidney damage.
The FDA recommends that healthcare professionals should “consider discontinuing Byetta if kidney problems cannot be explained by other causes.”
Acute Kidney Failure Causes
There are many causes of kidney failure, but the most common cause (about 60% of cases) is the obstruction of blood-flow into the kidneys. This is called prerenal kidney failure. This condition can be a complication of many diseases, conditions, and medications that decrease the amount of fluid in the body.
Common causes of kidney failure include:
- Dehydration (from vomiting, diarrhea, blood loss, lack of water)
- Medications that interfere with blood supply to kidneys
- Toxins that overload the kidneys
- Sudden drop in blood pressure
- Infection in the bloodstream (septic shock)
- Hemorrhage (bleeding)
- Complications of surgery
- Heart attacks or heart failure
- Blockage of a blood vessel carrying blood to the kidneys
- And more
Do I have a Byetta Lawsuit in Texas?
Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged.
Collen’s amazing success in the courtroom and well known dedication to his clients has earned him the recognition of his peers as one of The Top Trial Lawyers in Texas.”
The Clark Firm has assembled a team of trial lawyers with more than 100 years experience, participation in over 600 jury trials and $60 million in verdicts and/or settlements. Please use the form below to contact us for a free Texas Byetta lawsuit review.