Heart attacks can occur when blood clots get trapped in coronary arteries, which cuts off circulation to the heart muscle. Axiron (testosterone gel) is known to cause blood clots, and recent studies indicate that it may double the risk of heart attack for men over 65.
Need a Texas Axiron Lawyer? Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged. If you or a loved one was injured by Axiron, you should contact our lawyers immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a lawsuit in Texas.
What is the problem with Axiron?
Axiron contains testosterone, which may increase your risk of a heart attack. Our lawyers are concerned that for men without hypogonadism (low or no testosterone due to a medical condition), the risk of heart attack from Axiron may outweigh the benefits of treating symptoms of “Low T” –fatigue, muscle loss, sexual dysfunction, etc.
If you were not aware of the risk of heart attack from Axiron, you are not alone — many drug-makers are facing lawsuits for downplaying this risk information and aggressively promoting testosterone replacement therapy.
FDA Warnings for Axiron Heart Attack Risk
- March 2015 — In a Safety Communication, the FDA required the manufacturer of Axiron to update the label to warn about a possible increased risk of heart attack. The FDA also asked for new clinical trials to assess the long-term heart attack risk of testosterone therapy. Finally, the FDA clarified that Axiron is not approved or recommended for “Low T” associated with aging. Click here to read more.
- January 2014 — A Safety Communication was issued after two studies linked the use of testosterone and heart attacks. The FDA cited a study published by PLOS One January linking testosterone to a doubled risk of heart attack for men over 65, and a tripled increased risk for younger men with heart disease. Another study, published by JAMA in 2013, found that the risk of heart attack, stroke, and death may be 30% higher during the first 90 days of testosterone replacement therapy.
What Happens During a Heart Attack?
Heart attacks occur when blood clots or fatty plaque deposits obstruct coronary arteries. This “starves” the heart muscle of blood, oxygen, and nutrients, resulting in tissue damage. The amount of damage to the heart muscle depends on the size of the area that was starved of oxygen, and the time delay until treatment. Many people survive heart attacks, and the heart can recover with time. However, scar tissue does not pump effectively. Some people may develop heart failure, in which the heart is unable to supply the body with enough blood.
Symptoms may include:
- Chest pain, discomfort, “crushing” feeling, squeezing, heaviness (may resemble indigestion, heartburn, choking)
- Pain may spread to neck, back, or arms
- Nausea, vomiting
- Dizziness, loss of consciousness
- Shortness of breath
- Rapid or irregular heartbeats
Need an Axiron Lawyer in Texas?
Collen A. Clark is a true advocate for his clients and is passionate about helping Texans that have been injured or wronged.
Collen’s amazing success in the courtroom and well known dedication to his clients has earned him the recognition of his peers as one of The Top Trial Lawyers in Texas.”
The Clark Firm has assembled a team of trial lawyers with more than 100 years experience, participation in over 600 jury trials and $260 million in verdicts and/or settlements. Please use the form below to contact our Texas Axiron lawyers for a free lawsuit review.